Are you stuck at home and looking for a way to make yourself some clean water? This is great since we have an easy way for you in making distilled water. It does not require much equipment and the process is super simple. Furthermore, you can use this water with your aquarium, humidifier, or for your car maintenance.
What’s the difference between distilled water and other types of water?
As we all know, there are many types of water we use at home such as tap, filtered, purified, and distilled water. Before we start making distilled water, it is important to understand the following differences:
Tap water is commonly found in every household. The quality of tap water depends on the location of your house. Some are clean enough to drink, however, tap water in most places isn’t safe to drink. Furthermore, it contains minerals that come with your region.
Filtered water is the water that has been filtered through carbon or micron filters. They help in the removal of pesticides, metals, and chlorine. Moreover, those filters also get rid of the bad smell and taste of water. Your house might already have filtered water if you have a filtration system installed in your house.
Purified water goes through a purification process to get rid of bacteria, algae, fungi, and chemical pollutants.
It is another type of purified water. However, it is cheaper and easier to make at home. Making distilled water requires the liquid to be turned into gas and then liquid again.
Is Distilled Water the Same as Boiled Water?
No, it is not the same. The boiled water is the water that just reaches the boiling point to kill bacteria that can cause sickness. Distilled water, on the other hand, has been cleaned up from all the contaminants such as minerals and microorganisms.
How to Make Distilled Water at Home?
The process of making distilled water will use a simple scientific process that you might have seen at school before. At first, you will boil the water, which will turn into vapor or gas. Then, you will use ice to condense the vapor.
What Do I need?
- A large pot
- A lid for the large pot
- A small pot
- Gloves or oven mitts
The process of making distilled water
- First, put 8 cups of water in the pot and place the pot on the stove. Then, put the smaller pot inside the large pot. The smaller pot will be floating in the large pot. Make sure that there is enough airflow so that the vapor can circulate properly.
- Second, turn the stove to medium or medium-high heat. Do not turn up the heat at the highest temperature as it will be harder for you to handle and it will not give you a better result. You will want the simmer to be steady. This means it is best to keep it around 180 to 200 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Third, put the lid upside-down in the pot. Since the lid is higher in the middle, the distilled water will slide to the middle and fall in the small pot.
- Fourth, put the ice on the lid. Then, all you have to do is wait. You will need to replace the ice twice an hour. After the ice is melted, you will need to oven mitts to remove the water on the lid.
- Lastly, all is done! The water that you get in the small pot is the distilled water. However, making it might be a long process, as 1 gallon could take up almost 13 hours of your time.
Can I Drink Distilled Water Every Day?
You should not drink only distilled water every day since it lacks all the helpful minerals from tap water or mineral water. As much as distilled water is safe to drink, it is recommended to drink some fruit/vegetable juice daily as well.
What Container Should I Use?
After you get your distilled water, it is best to store it in a glass or high-quality stainless steel bottle. That is because the water can leach on the chemicals from the container. However, if you use the water right after you are done with the distilling process, there is no need to be worried about this.
The process of making distilled water is fun and easy. You can kill some time making this useful type of water for your car battery, fish, steam irons, or plants.